In addition to meeting the admissions requirements for undergraduate or graduate study, international applicants must also meet English-language proficiency requirements. If you are missing required test scores, your application will not be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Undergraduate International Applicants
English language proficiency is required if your secondary education was completed in a country where English is not the primary language, regardless of U.S. residency status.
Graduate International Applicants
English language proficiency is required if your undergraduate education was completed in a non-English speaking country. Your program may have higher requirements for language-intensive areas such as history, English, psychology, and others.
Check with your program of study to find the required test scores for your graduate program.
English Proficiency Exemption
You are exempt from submitting test scores if:
- You have completed Level 112 of the ELS Intensive English for Academic Purposes program as proof of English proficiency for undergraduate and graduate admission;
- You have achieved a grade of B or better in a college-level English composition course at an accredited U.S. college (not a foreign affiliate); or
- You have completed an accredited Bachelor’s degree program in the United States where the primary mode of instruction was English.
The following courses are not acceptable:
- English courses that are designated ESL, non-native, or which require a special support component.
- Courses taken outside the United States.
- Correspondence or online courses.
Acceptable English Language Proficiency Tests
Rutgers TOEFL code: 2765
Rutgers accepts the following tests to determine the English proficiency of its international applicants:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The Rutgers TOEFL code is 2765.
- International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS).
Minimum Test Scores
Your scores must be current within two years of the semester to which you are applying and must be submitted directly to Rutgers from the testing service.
- TOEFL: The minimum internet-based TOEFL score is 79.
- IELTS: An acceptable IELTS score is 6 or greater.